"Common Ground": my little corner of the blogosphere where I talk (a lot-wink) about the things that matter most to me: My relationship with my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, homeschooling, adoption, homemaking, parenting, "spousing." (yeah, yeah....I know that's not a word.....I made it up-it’s my blog-I can do things like that! Ha!)

Since my life isn’t all that different from yours, hopefully we can find some COMMON GROUND & learn from each other. Please share your thoughts!

Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.

They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Lam. 3: 22 & 23

Click on pics to see us up close & personal! :)


Thursday, January 5, 2012

Skiing.......A Picture of Life

One perk to being a Colorado resident......the 5th Grade Ski Free Pass.  Ana is in 5th Grade this year, so we signed her up. 

Monday, I took the girls up to Monarch Mountain, with both my sisters & all their local cousins.

Poling my way through the chute-for the first "load" on a chair lift.  In this case, for the first time in FIVE years.  (the last time was a week or so before I left on Ruthie's Pick-Up trip).


Yep, I was scared.  The thing I hate most about skiing is the "unload" at the top of the mountain. (the only injuries I ever remember getting have to do w/ the stupid chair lift!  Including the one where the snowboarder I was riding up w/ TOOK ME OUT dis-embarking.  Knocked the wind out of me, & bruised my ribs for a month!  But, I digress....)

I knew it was coming.....I could see the top of the lift.  I rode up w/ my oldest nephew-just recently turned 13-& not afraid of anything.

"I can do this.  I can do this. I can do this. I have done it before.  It's like riding a bike-you never forget, right?" (the conversation I had w/ myself went something along these lines.)

Tips up.

Move to the edge of your chair.

Take a deep breath.

Skis sliding across the ground directly under my chair. 

& just at the right moment.....

Stand up....& just glide.

(I screamed like a girl-but, that's ok, because I am one, ha!  ha!)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am naturally afraid to try new things.  Ana is petrified of them.  Ruth?  Not one IOTA of fear. 


There has to be a BIG payoff for me to risk:

1.  Injury
2.  Pain
3.  Exhaustion




But, I have risked theses things in my life, as well as on the skislope, & I'm glad I did.  There's nothing quite as exhilerating as standing at the top of the mountain, knowing I'm getting ready for the ride of my life!


Loving others is a risk.
Starting college was a risk. 
Having biological children is a risk.
Adopting is a risk.

I guess that's part of why I thrill to ski.  It scares me to death, but very little is so rewarding-at least not in the physical world.






Our favorite run of the day-& yes, as you have probably guessed, I am soley a "Green Run" kind of girl.


Our fearless wonder!
(in case you are wondering, Ana had so much fun-after conquering her fear,
 I could never catch her for a picture by herself! 
All of us at the top of our favorite run-"Rookie," highlighted in the top picture.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...