"Common Ground": my little corner of the blogosphere where I talk (a lot-wink) about the things that matter most to me: My relationship with my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, homeschooling, adoption, homemaking, parenting, "spousing." (yeah, yeah....I know that's not a word.....I made it up-it’s my blog-I can do things like that! Ha!)

Since my life isn’t all that different from yours, hopefully we can find some COMMON GROUND & learn from each other. Please share your thoughts!

Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.

They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Lam. 3: 22 & 23

Click on pics to see us up close & personal! :)


Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Well, it’s happened……

Around the lunch table yesterday, Ana & I were talking about when she was really little & some cute thing she said or did-I can’t really remember.

(there were sooo many cute things she said & did, how’s an *unbiased* mom like me supposed to remember WHICH one we were talking about-wink!)

Anyway……in the random way 3 YO brains work, Ruthie, out of the blue, said, “Mommy, was I born in your tummy?”

Huh? Isn’t she a bit young to wonder about that?

I mean, by the way she worded her question, I thought she might be thinking there was a possibility she wasn’t. Isn’t she too young to catch on that most kids are “born in their mommy’s tummy?”-but she might not have been? (Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but I think I know her pretty well.)

“No, actually, you weren’t, Ruthie. You were born in Mama Norma’s tummy in Guatemala” I excitedly informed her-because I really have looked forward to these types of conversations!

I feel like her “story” is such an interesting & unique one, & it has soooo many distinct answers to prayer, that I can’t wait for her to know/understand it all.

Now, I know there are sad parts to it-& they may be especially hard for her one day (I can’t even share them all with anyone in the family). But, her parents will be there for those conversations & difficult feelings as well.

But, mostly, I want her to always know what a privilege it is-that GOD chose HER for our family. & HE, alone, performed all the miracles it took to get her here! Now, we are on our way with these types of conversations!

She’s so funny though, because then she laughed a HUGE, BELLY laugh at my answer, & said, “Noooo!” (Like, “really?!?! You’re kidding me, right?”)

I said, again, “You really were born in Mama Norma’s tummy in Guatemala, Ruthie.”

Then, she asked, “Ana born in your tummy, Mommy?”

Yes.

What a blessed mama I am!
Blessed by birth in more ways than one!

Anyway, we are now, officially entering a new stage-where our *adopted* children will begin to understand their entrance to the family. Praying they always feel comfortable talking with us about their adoptions, & that we raise them with healthy attitudes toward their own adoption stories.

If you have adopted, how did these conversations start in your family? How did you handle questions like this?




4 comments:

Gardenia said...

congrats on having that first conversation about growing in mommy's tummy. We've not had that conversation yet here at our house. Our daughter is almost three. I hope I can handle it with all the grace I can muster up when the time comes. and thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

Its so easy to forget how bright children are.
They think much bigger thoughts then we realize, or give them credit for.

We have an almost 3 year old in our meeting, that memorized all of Luke chapter 2 a few weeks ago!!!

Kim & Dave said...

Wow, Paula! That's incredible!

Tina said...

Hi Kim,
Thanks for sharing your adoption journey. I to have had the first question asked a few months ago and my little was just a little over three. I also find myself being eager for questions to come because her story involves so many answered prayers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...