"Common Ground": my little corner of the blogosphere where I talk (a lot-wink) about the things that matter most to me: My relationship with my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, homeschooling, adoption, homemaking, parenting, "spousing." (yeah, yeah....I know that's not a word.....I made it up-it’s my blog-I can do things like that! Ha!)

Since my life isn’t all that different from yours, hopefully we can find some COMMON GROUND & learn from each other. Please share your thoughts!

Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.

They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Lam. 3: 22 & 23

Click on pics to see us up close & personal! :)


Wednesday, January 5, 2011

He Did It!!! (& honestly, I'm kinda amazed how well it actually worked!!!)

About a month ago, we instituted a new chore system.

We call it, “The Marble Jar” system.

The kids have graduated sizes of jars to fill. Each time they do an agreed-upon chore, they get to put a marble in the jar.

Nat & Ruth have fairly simple jobs-like clearing their dishes after meals, wiping the table, loading & unloading silverware & cleaning up their toys.

Ana has those jobs plus some other more challenging ones-grinding the coffee, & sweeping the floor to name a few.

All jobs must pass my inspection to get their marble.
Ana can LOOSE marbles (no pun intended) for jobs that don’t pass or “stuff” left lying around.

After they fill them up, they get varying rewards:

N-out for dessert w/ mom
R-out for supper & dessert w/ mom
A-out for an overnight get-away w/ mom

Nat filled his up on Sunday night (the rule is, the lid can’t close & Daddy is the judge!)
So, Monday night, Nat & I went to “Daiwy Queem” to get ice cream.

I tell you, this has been the best thing we ever set up for chores.
We have tried paying Ana.
We have tried bribery.
We have tried threats.

Nothing but this system has worked. (& the other two are suddenly much more motivated to fill their jars, since they saw Nat get his reward!)

What has worked in your home?





2 comments:

Jules said...

What a great idea! I'm glad it worked and fun for Nat to have his jar filled first. :)

Anna said...

Wow yay for Nat:) You know I've been talking about your marble jar system to some friends...I want to try that one to get the girls tidying up after themselves. Glad to hear its working so well...even more incentive now for me to try it.
Thanks,
Anna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...