"Common Ground": my little corner of the blogosphere where I talk (a lot-wink) about the things that matter most to me: My relationship with my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, homeschooling, adoption, homemaking, parenting, "spousing." (yeah, yeah....I know that's not a word.....I made it up-it’s my blog-I can do things like that! Ha!)

Since my life isn’t all that different from yours, hopefully we can find some COMMON GROUND & learn from each other. Please share your thoughts!

Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.

They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Lam. 3: 22 & 23

Click on pics to see us up close & personal! :)


Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I Took The Day Off!!!

For reasons I won’t go into here, this summer has already seemed long in a lot of ways!

So…..today (yesterday by the time this posts) I took a holiday.

Yep, I did.

I hired a babysitter for the WHOLE day.

I was pretty hesitant to do this, because I have heard that often people come back from their little “break” even more resentful of the house, the kids, the other responsibilities.

So, tonight, as I was driving home, I prayed that the Lord would give me a thankful heart.

& I am choosing to be thankful to you, Heavenly Father for:


~the dishes still in the sink (looks like the kids were well fed while I was gone!)
~the two girls who were still awake when I came home (got to say goodnight & tuck them in!)
~the safety for me as I drove up to Denver & back & the safety You gave the kids & the babysitter (I am well aware of the fact that my life-& the lives of my kids-are constantly in Your hands!)
~the gorgeous, so brilliant it hurt my eyes, sort of blue sky there was today-especially while I took a walk in a park! (After 4 days of clouds & rain-it was a welcome sight!)
~sitting under a tree in a different park reading my book
~meandering through a mall-with no agenda! (I’m not a shopper & I didn’t even spend any money-unless you count The Cheesecake Factory!!!)
~taking my time going up & down every isle of The Container Store-my all-time favorite place to shop! (& yes, I did spend $ there! Ha!)


But, as I left this morning, I prayed I would be refreshed for the duties the LORD has blessed me with……& you know what?

I think I am……

So, I guess this type of get-away can be a good thing. As long as you don’t resent coming home.

How do you handle “me” time? Do you have any tricks to keep from being discontent when you return to earth & “normal life?”

5 comments:

Hannah said...

What a great idea..sometimes having a day off is just what a mom needs to see with refreshed eyes.

Gardenia said...

this is an excellent idea. the me time I usually get isn't often, and I'm about ready for a day like the one you had -- without any fast paced plans, just a nice quiet day to gather thoughts, read a good book, soak up the outside air a bit, and return home thanksful for the family I have!

Anna said...

Wonderful to hear you were able to take some needed time out Kim! Good on you for doing it and sounds like it was a great day.

Its interesting you brought up about resenting it all when you get back... I have to admit that I have felt that after time away sometimes when you get back to the crazy, noisy, messy house from you not being there:)
I guess when I have felt like that I have to remind myself of the blessing that my family is to me...and that I wouldn't want to be anywhere else...and if I didn't have them and was by myself all the time how horrible that would be. It kind of brings me back to earth and I can focus on how fortunate i was to have had the chance for that refreshing break. Just my thoughts but you've got me thinking now.
My M-I-L looked after our kids for a night so Peter and I could have a night away for my b'day and when we got back all these crazy little things went wrong like 2 kids in succession spilling milk all over the place and pulling a big bowl of water off the bench making a huge mess! It really was hard to deal with it after such a peaceful time away. You know she said Satan knows you've had a good time away and is trying to get at you with all this...I don't know but had never thought about it like that, but was an intersting thing to think about.

Take care,

Anna

Kim & Dave said...

Anna-that is so interesting that your MIL said that. I think she may be on to something....Satan does want so much to steal our joy-any way he can!

Lori Yoder said...

I usually come back refreshed after time off, but now that you mention it, sometimes I do come back resentful. Especially lately where I just have so much work to do. Great post!

Thanks for stopping by. I think this would be great linked up to my Tuesday's Tips.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...