"Common Ground": my little corner of the blogosphere where I talk (a lot-wink) about the things that matter most to me: My relationship with my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, homeschooling, adoption, homemaking, parenting, "spousing." (yeah, yeah....I know that's not a word.....I made it up-it’s my blog-I can do things like that! Ha!)

Since my life isn’t all that different from yours, hopefully we can find some COMMON GROUND & learn from each other. Please share your thoughts!

Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.

They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Lam. 3: 22 & 23

Click on pics to see us up close & personal! :)


Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Market In Antigua, Guatemala........

Imagine hundreds of stalls.....literally hundreds, each person running them, just trying to make a living & feed their families.

(this doesn't even include the food market, which I have never been to)



Color everywhere......


People everywhere..........




Noises everywhere..........Spanish being spoken,

motorcycles zipping by,



fountains bubbling in quiet corners,




laughter & playing of children who spend the day in the market where their mothers are working......




How do you ever choose where to go?????




Well, you let your friend/guide show the way!! (Thank-you, Jose-I know your name needs an accent-can't figure out how to do it on my laptop!!!)





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Meandering through the market, we take everything in as we make our way to the opposite side of the artisan's section, Jose chatting w/ my sister & I about what type of things we want to take home.







Finally, we reach a stall, where the woman greets us all w/ a smile that lights up her whole face, & a mixture of English & Spanish that delights the heart of two Norte Americanas who are trying to use as much Spanish as possible.





As we visit over what things catch our eye, & barter a bit w/ the help of Jose (always watchful eyes on the two kids who can walk), she says something that THRILLS me to my core.




"Jose es mi hermano in Cristo,"



"Jose is my brother in Christ."





The smile really lights her countenance when I say,




"Somos hermanos in Cristo, tambien!"



"We are brothers/sisters in Christ, too!"



Wow! In that very moment, another stitch in the fabric of my love for Guatemala was sown.




Just like a stitch was sewn each time I visited the church there in Guatemala City.

Or, when we visit w/ Jose & his lovely wife Saskia, & hear more of their love for Jesus, & how they want to share Him w/ others, too.




Meeting other Christians there reminds me that my God is BIG.




Really Big

Big enough to provide salvation to all peoples everywhere in the world.



Does Christianity look different in Guatemala? YES!

(just like shopping looks different-no Target or Super Wal-Mart!!!)

Is "different" better or worse? NEITHER!!!

God is creative & big enough to work through the culture & languages the world over,



& just like the stall after stall in the market-no two places are alike.



Wow! I feel privilged to be a part of His work.

May I never cease to praise His name for all His mighty works!

& here are pics of the handiwork I brought home:





& for all my creative, handwork-loving friends, here is some of it up closer:


The purple bag above, Shannon spotted in the market & knew I just HAD to have!

Any other lover of this color out there know what I mean?!?!

Something for me......realised the night before we left, that I still had no clothes for myself, so I ran to the shop downstairs in the Marriott, & picked up this shirt, which has purple flowers & butterflies hand-stitched accross the neckline.

And finally, an outfit for Natty, also w/ incredible stitching.

He will wear this as a toddler, & you can see all of it in the bottom right hand side of the picture of everything all together.

What color!

What beauty!

Yes, in the fabric, but also in people-everwhere!!!

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

29 And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Galatians 3:28 & 29

6 comments:

Jules said...

Oo, Oo, Oooooo! Thanks for sharing your shopping experiences! Love the items you got -- the local handcrafts... perfect! :-)

Kim & Dave said...

Joyce-you were one of the people I was thinking of when I posted those pics!

I figured you would like them!! :-)

Anonymous said...

A lovely post. :)

My sister traveled to Guatemala on a chicken bus from Costa Rica a couple of years ago. She brought back a doll for Abigail that she had bought in a market there. She also gave me a photo of the little girl that sold her the doll, which is really special.

Kim & Dave said...

Well, Emily.....I think we have about 10 of those dolls now. :-)

Even one boy doll!

I was wishing (as I posted) that we had taken a picture of the lady we bought most of our stuff from.

Unknown said...

OOhhhhh! A marketplace! That is one reason I want to travel the world.
I miss the river city market in Kansas City. 500 vendors, most with fresh local produce.
We pay an arm and a leg for fruit and veges in Alaska. A red bell peppers $3!
That would explain why I have three trays of peppers, eggplant and tomatos started for our greenhouse, with many more packets of veges waiting in the wings.

Kim & Dave said...

You know, Paula....I never made it to that market in KC.

Always wanted to....but never did.

Definitely put Guatemala on your list of places to visit when you DO travel the world. ;)

(also Colorado, OK?)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...