"Common Ground": my little corner of the blogosphere where I talk (a lot-wink) about the things that matter most to me: My relationship with my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, homeschooling, adoption, homemaking, parenting, "spousing." (yeah, yeah....I know that's not a word.....I made it up-it’s my blog-I can do things like that! Ha!)

Since my life isn’t all that different from yours, hopefully we can find some COMMON GROUND & learn from each other. Please share your thoughts!

Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.

They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Lam. 3: 22 & 23

Click on pics to see us up close & personal! :)


Monday, October 27, 2008

PLOT......that critcal part of a story that makes it worth reading.....(edited at the end-laugh out loud funny!)

Have I ever mentioned that Ana loves to write?
But, yeah…..we need some lesson plans on plot, I think.


(She loves anything to do with art,
too……so if anyone has any tips for organizing art supplies
(Andrea-feel free to chime in here!), please fill me in!!!

But……daily, I find her masterpieces
(of both art & stories)
left on my bedroom floor,
the kitchen counter…..
the couch-for the babies to tear apart,
the table.

She has lately taken to writing variations on a story called, “The Soup.”

The other day, I counted at least 3 copies of it strewn about the house!

Dave & I were laughing so hard,
as we read each story.
(please tell me other parents just have this overwhelming desire to LAUGH at their kids!
They are just so funny!)

The stories never vary much
(well, unless you count how much MONEY the “carpinter” made-ha!!! haa!!!)
……so my only conclusion is…….

Soon I better come up with lesson plans that focus on PLOT in story writing!

Click on the picture!
See if it doesn’t make you smile!

(& make you realize some things MIGHT be missing from our lesson plans-
you think?)

Edited: This was one of the comments left in the comments section. Made me LAUGH out loud!!! Didn't want anyone to miss it!


***********said...
You're missing the points of tension! They are there, but YOU, big adult that you are, are missing them! The carpinter makes soup, but we don't know until the end of the story whether or not he will get to EAT the soup. Also, when he goes to work, will he be able to make any money? In today's economy, this is an important consideration. Fortunately, our protagonist makes $105 dollars AND gets to eat his soup. A very fortunate man, all things considered. Also, notice how well she handles the soup theme: she mentions it at the beginning of the story, moves away from it, and returns to the soup. This also, incidentally, shows some understanding of plot, since we start with soupness, move away from soupness, and then thankfully are returned to soupness. It's a cohesive, symmetrical, and satisfying denoument. Perhaps you shouldn't criticize your eldest child so much ;D

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh so sweet!! Yippee and be excited she writes willingly. :) The rest will come with maturity. That is so super!

Andrea said...

Welll...organizing ideas???

If one is a "true" artist (chuckle) then organizing just makes you feel claustrophobic! sorry Kim!!! hehe

However, to have 'some' order in my studio, I bought old, wooden pencil boxes on Ebay and put my various types of paints (oils in one, acrylics in another, pastels in a third, etc) in each one.

VERY cheap and quite artsy-fartsy!!

But, honestly, there's NOTHING I love more (from an artistic standpoint) than having clothes with dribbles of paint all over them and 'painty' fingers...makes me feel like i did something useful!

Andrea

Kim & Dave said...

But, Andrea, my friend, how do your NAILS hold up to that? (Hee! Hee!!!)

Violinknitter said...

You're missing the points of tension! They are there, but YOU, big adult that you are, are missing them! The carpinter makes soup, but we don't know until the end of the story whether or not he will get to EAT the soup. Also, when he goes to work, will he be able to make any money? In today's economy, this is an important consideration. Fortunately, our protagonist makes $105 dollars AND gets to eat his soup. A very fortunate man, all things considered. Also, notice how well she handles the soup theme: she mentions it at the beginning of the story, moves away from it, and returns to the soup. This also, incidentally, shows some understanding of plot, since we start with soupness, move away from soupness, and then thankfully are returned to soupness. It's a cohesive, symmetrical, and satisfying denoument. Perhaps you shouldn't criticize your eldest child so much ;D

Kim & Dave said...

Oh.....my......word! violinknitter, you almost made me pee my pants laughing!!!!

Stacey and Dewey said...

Too cute, what a creative little mind she has. And how wonderful that she loves to write!! And even better that it brings a laugh and smile to your face :)
Happy Monday!!
Stacey

Luke Holzmann said...

Good stuff [smile]. I love seeing kids stretch those creative muscles!

~Luke

Cedar Hill Chronicles said...

Way to go Ana:>)! That is such a great story. Were looking forward to the next installment.
Kim...your posting of Ana's story brought back memories of all my kids stories, Paula and so forth. I still have the Christmas Story, pictures and all that Dan did when he was little and then did a colored picture on the manila envelope for the story. It was many pages long! Tim's mom kept everything the grandkids mailed to her for years and gave me the whole box full a few years back...reading them now years later really makes you chuckle.Have Ana if she hasn't already start sending letters , stories to her grandparents...it will put a big smile on their faces to get them in the mail.
Love, Pam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...