"Common Ground": my little corner of the blogosphere where I talk (a lot-wink) about the things that matter most to me: My relationship with my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, homeschooling, adoption, homemaking, parenting, "spousing." (yeah, yeah....I know that's not a word.....I made it up-it’s my blog-I can do things like that! Ha!)

Since my life isn’t all that different from yours, hopefully we can find some COMMON GROUND & learn from each other. Please share your thoughts!

Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.

They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Lam. 3: 22 & 23

Click on pics to see us up close & personal! :)


Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tomorrow's the DAY!!!!

I am having surgery on my trachea. I have scar tissue on it from when I was young (age 2) & was intubated for a week. I was in a coma-due to serious pneumonia & they didn't remove the tube often enough to prevent it trying to attach to the trachea wall. So, when I came out of the coma, they basically ripped it out, I guess. Some time later, my mom noticed I was turning blue when I played. She took me into the doctor, who said it was scar tissue building up in my trachea. If they hadn't discovered it when they did, the doctor said it could have grown completely closed in the next few days!!! I had a series of tracheal dilatations, & was told at the age of 8 that it was looking great, although I still had a smaller trachea than most kids my age.


Anyway, I have been having a very hoarse voice, & I had an ENT scope my throat. He said there is still more scar tissue there than he is comfortable with, & he thinks it could be why I have had so many asthma symptoms my whole life. We also deduced that it might be indirectly causing the hoarseness, since I clear my throat & cough a lot. Could be that the tightness feels like asthma, but really is just the small trachea. He will remove what is still left of the scar tissue, & put some liquid on the new wound to prevent any new scar tissue from forming.

So, it is an outpatient surgery, but I will be under general anesthesia.

The hardest part, though, is I CAN'T TALK OR MAKE ANY SOUND FROM MY THROAT FOR 48 HOURS!!! Dave will be full-time parenting! I think I might need to go to a hotel to keep my mouth shut! (Just kidding!)

I am somewhat nervous about it, though, since I love to sing & that is super close to my vocal chords! Then, of course, there's the whole general anesthesia thing! YIKES! I don't like not being in control!

Anyway, I would appreciate your prayers! Tomorrow at 10:45am, Mountain Time!
But as for me, I trust in You, O LORD;
I say, “You are my God.”
My times are in Your hand;
Psalm 31:14 & 15a

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

i will be praying. love ya, jenn

Kim & Dave said...

Thanks, Jenn!!!!

Andrea said...

COMPLETELY covering you in prayer Kim...

I have been under Gen. Anth. several times...Just accept what the nurse tells you to do...it it okay....scary...but okay...kwim?

48 hrs w/o talking....well..okay...CUZ YOU CAN STILL TYPE!!!!!!!!!!!! (teehee)

Prayers,
Andrea

Stacey and Dewey said...

OUCH!!! I mean no I'm sure it will be just fine. You'll be in my prayers!! Keep a clipboard and pen close!!
Post and let us know all is well as soon as you can.
Stacey

Kim & Dave said...

Andrea-I am locking myself in my bedroom & blogging the days away!!! Maybe my typing speed will increase!!!!

Stacey-I hopefully can update tomorrow night!

Thanks, everyone, for your prayers!

Anna said...

Kim, Will be praying for you my friend tomorrow! Hope it goes well and that it will help fix this problem for you.

Hope you can survive the 'no talking' for 48hrs!! That would be hard but thank goodness you will still be able to blog to all of us anyway!!

I'll be offline for a week again but please know I'll be praying for you!

God Bless,
Anna

Kim & Dave said...

Thanks, Anna! Your prayers & support mean a lot to me!

Anonymous said...

I'm up early and have prayed for you. You can posts lots in 2 days as a way to use up your daily word allotment. ;)

RenaissanceBeliever said...

Wow, Kim. You're in my thoughts and prayers. And so is your family. And so are the doctors/surgical techs/nurses/etc.!!! :)

Tina said...

Praying for you and your will power....if you need to talk we can always schedule a "talk" on the forum chat. lol

Kim & Dave said...

Tina-PERFECT!!!! I just might need to do that!!! We'll see how it goes! :-)

Luke Holzmann said...

Lord, I ask that the surgery goes well and fixes everything. Protect Kim's voice and may she have peace and comfort before and during the procedure. Amen!

I'll bring this to prayer this morning too!

~Luke

Angie's blog said...

I am praying for you today!! Hope that you are okay! Angie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...