"Common Ground": my little corner of the blogosphere where I talk (a lot-wink) about the things that matter most to me: My relationship with my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, homeschooling, adoption, homemaking, parenting, "spousing." (yeah, yeah....I know that's not a word.....I made it up-it’s my blog-I can do things like that! Ha!)

Since my life isn’t all that different from yours, hopefully we can find some COMMON GROUND & learn from each other. Please share your thoughts!

Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.

They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Lam. 3: 22 & 23

Click on pics to see us up close & personal! :)


Monday, December 1, 2008

Hmmmm.....not sure what to call this post....

Except:
“Confessions of a Pike’s Peak Library District Drop-out”
& “Snow!”

(Yeah I know the two titles make no sense together,
but I warned you I had no idea what to call the post!)

The view out our back window the last three days:
The view out our back porch for 2-3 hours yesterday:



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now…..
My totally off the wall question:

Do you use your local library?
I have a confession:

I love to read & I want my kids to love to read.

But, for some reason, the library stresses me out.

No, I know why it stresses me out.

I despise the pressure to get books back on time-

Let alone the pressure of NOT LOOSING A SINGLE SOLITARY book!!!!!

YIKES!!

Do you know how hard those two things are for me to do?

I think I have finally conquered getting books back on time
(wait! Did I remember to write the due date on the calendar the last time?
Hmmm….must check when I’m done here)

But, making sure we don’t loose any books-or any CD’s from books on CD’s?
That is the challenge.
(this is one of Ana & I's favorites!)

Now, having said all that,
I promise I have only lost a book once &
had to pay late fees only a few times-but I can hardly take the stress!

(I also feel guilty because I grew up at the library
& my mom could somehow manage 5 children & 20 books each-
& we went ALL THE TIME!!! How did she do it?!?!)

The Dillons almost never go.

I need to change-any ideas????
Can I just buy every book my kids want to read?

I could write it off as a homeschooling expense,
couldn’t I, dear Hubby of mine?

PLEEEASE???!?!


(I know you’ll be reading this tomorrow at work-
notice I brought it up while you are out of the house-wink!)

Ok…..I know using the library is better than buying new books-
I would never be able to store all the books anyway.

HELP!!!

Same Old Stuff Or Help!









16 comments:

Violinknitter said...

A couple ideas off the top of my head (feel free to disregard... I'm not sure of the quality of top-of-the-head thoughts :D)

1. Don't feel guilty about returning books a day late or so. I view paying library fines as extra support of my public library. I get so much enjoyment out of the library, surely it's worth a dollar or so a month (especially if I can stop stressing about getting the books back on time every time.)

2. Put the list of check-out books somewhere safe and easily accessible. (I'm assuming your library gives you the little electronic print-out?) Mom always stuck ours in the cabinet by the phone books. It was easy to reference quickly when it was time to go to the library.

3. Have a specific place for library materials to belong, separate from normal books/CDs. We had a crate by the back door. Try to make it a habit for *everyone* to return their library materials to the crate/space whenever they aren't in use. It won't always work, and there will probably be one or two books or CDs to round up from strange places, but it will help to have a specific location.

4. Set a specific day to go to the library every week (or every two weeks, or whatever.) If your library day is the same every week, it'll make due-date stuff a lot easier. I had a lot fewer problems with remembering due dates when I had "Friday" library days, or whatever.

5. (Back to point one, really.) How much would it cost to buy all the books you and your kids want to read? Assuming you bought three books a month, you'd have to be paying $15 or more in fines to make buying books cheaper. And you get lots more books at the library.

Unknown said...

Here is a solution we came up with. Barnes and Noble always has discount books for 2-3 dollars.
We just loaded up with a bunch of books this way.
We were able to get all of George MacDonalds childrens books in one volume for less than $20.
CBD has very similiar deals as well.
Then, later on, when you have a stack that is not read anymore, and are not keepsake books, take them down to your local reuse it book store. They will do excanges for books on their shelves.
Paula

Kim & Dave said...

Ooooh! Already a bunch of good ideas!!!

Thanks, guys!

Cedar Hill Chronicles said...

Hummmmm first off...........I like the first posts title....sounds familiar!
Looks like you heard from Paula.
BOOK BAGS / or Back packs per child to keep their book loot in when they aren't reading them. Also great for them in that they can carry their own books back and forth ( unless that bag weighs more than the child :>)!! I had book bags for each of the six kids.........and yes Kim it can be done......been there / done that just like your mama!!!!
I seem to be worse today in getting things back on time.....and it's just me :>(! Tim keeps track of his own. Why I can't do like I did when the kids were little is beyond me!

Tina said...

Sorry no advice. I too underuse my library all because of late fees and I used to work at one in college. I vow every week that this will be the week we will go and yet, nope.

On a side note the pics of your kiddos are soooooo cute

Lynn said...

Thanks for the reminder that I have overdue library books!

Anonymous said...

Our local library could fit in my living room and b/c we are outside the city limits we have to pay $120/yr for library use. No thanks!

So since dd was a reader... we bought her books. You should see the basement wall!! LOL

We also found that putting books on the Christmas list (instead of general sizes for clothes or hobbies) netted the dc the EXACT one they wanted! ;)

When the kids were little, I organized the Scholastic orders for our tiny group. I did the work, I got the free books. Tho sometimes I shared of someone ordered a lot.

You can do that just for yourself even! :)

Kim & Dave said...

Oh, good, Tina! Someone else like me! I used to work at a library, too, & I know about those late fees!

Thanks for the comments, everyone! LOTS of good advise!

Luke Holzmann said...

I go to the Library every week for more movies. So, I've got a system: 5 movies a week that are returned every Saturday when I go to pick up more.

The book thing stresses me out as well. Three weeks? How does one keep track of that?

I'm guessing I'll just let my kids check out books and require that they return them the next week unless they renew the title.

~Luke

Unknown said...

For those getting movies from the library and the local video store, can I recommend Netflix?
We pay $9 per month, and we get unlimited movies streamed in online, plus one movie at a time in the mail. No late fees, and no rental fees.
Paula

Anonymous said...

I'm always checking out audiobooks to listen to while at work (did I just type that?), so I often make second trips to the main library five blocks from the office to return CDs I left in my player at home.

That being said:
*If the library operates a Bookmobile, take advantage. I grew up four blocks from a stop. (Based on current stops, your DH wasn't as fortunate.)

*See if your library offers e-mail alerts. I signed up for three-day warnings. (I'm also on the waiting list for Twilight. Hurry up, will ya?!)

*Does your library offer grace periods (mine: 7 days) or fine-free days/weeks? Take advantage.

If all else fails, have your DH drop them off on his way to work.

Kim & Dave said...

More greast ideas! Thanks, all!

Anna said...

Hi Kim,
So good to catch up on all your news from being away.

I love your pics in the snow...wow it looks very cold!!! We don't see snow that close round where I live. Lots of fun for the kids I'm sure!

I feel the same thing with borrowing books too...and also we have a toy library and that is stressful with all the small parts to keep track of!!!(nightmare!!)
I think keeping them separate...naybe have a special library bag and the books have to stay in there so they go back after they look at them. Maybe just borrow one at a time so its less to keep up with.

Sorry don't have any great insights as I feel the same as you.

Hope you're going ok after your surgery and are feeling its made things better.

Take care,
Anna

Kim & Dave said...

Anna! You're back! Have you posted anything recently?

I miss you being "around!"

Becca said...

I am a public library junkie. We have wonderful story hours and other special "classes" - just jump into it!

Peace and Hugs,
Becca

Kim & Dave said...

Becca-I have tried the "Story Hours" & all. Just doesn't work for us too well. Matter of fact, we made it through only one story last time before both babies were screaming & trying to run around!

Maybe we'll try more when they are all older!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...