"Common Ground": my little corner of the blogosphere where I talk (a lot-wink) about the things that matter most to me: My relationship with my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, homeschooling, adoption, homemaking, parenting, "spousing." (yeah, yeah....I know that's not a word.....I made it up-it’s my blog-I can do things like that! Ha!)

Since my life isn’t all that different from yours, hopefully we can find some COMMON GROUND & learn from each other. Please share your thoughts!

Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.

They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Lam. 3: 22 & 23

Click on pics to see us up close & personal! :)


Tuesday, December 2, 2008

UGGGG....the frustration!!!!

If you haven’t adopted internationally,
you might not understand all my frustration this afternoon-but here-
I’ll try & explain it anyway.

We have been TRYING to get Social Security to change Ruth’s name on her card to:

“Ruth CXXXXX DXXXX”

They will not accept a passport in that name.

They will not accept a non-certified copy of the court order.

We don’t have a “certified copy” of the court order.

Why? The court gave us a non-certified copy.

Do you know what?

After an hour or so, talking to EVERY OFFICE in the County Court I have found out:

They won’t re-issue us a court order without us petitioning a re-opening of the case.

(Just as an aside, one of the other ridiculous things told me today was that Ruth would have to petition the court herself.

SHE’S TWO, PEOPLE!!!!!!
If you can tell me how she can petition a court,
I WOULD love to hear how!!!!)

GRRRR!!!!

(Doesn’t that sound like a HUGE deal-to re-open a court case?)

This poor child!

In some places she’s still “Sandra PXXXXX DXXXXX”
because of this INCOMPETANCE!!!

If we don’t fix this, think of the complex this child may have some day!!!!
The government can’t decide if she’s “Ruth” or “Sandra!”
(& now, the poor complex-ridden child is screaming herself to sleep!
I think I might have an idea why!!!!
She can’t stand the idea of not knowing who she is for the rest of her life!)
A frustrated Kim, signing off for the night!!!!

9 comments:

Anna said...

Oh Kim how annoyingly frustrating!!!!

How terrible that they can't fix it more easily for you than that knowing the circumstances that she's adopted.

Will pray that you'll be able to find a way to solve it more easily.

Take care,
Anna
(no I haven't posted for ages being away...am about to try and do a post now...finally!)

Tina said...

That is HIGHLY annoying. Why won't the clerk of courts just issue you a certified copy? Or certify the copy you have like they do notory signatures? A rgh is all I can say for you! We haven't done Liliana's name change yet. I waited to get Toby's SSC until after his name change. Now I'll know to get a certified copy of hers. Sorry you have to go through this.

Kim & Dave said...

Tina-our insurance wouldn't put either of them on without a social. The other thing that has to be changed is their COC. That is done in the name they came home from Guatemala on.

Anna-off to check your blog!

Luke Holzmann said...

Haven't run into that problem yet, but the adoption paperwork is crazy frustrating--yes.

Hang in there, and may this work out soon.

~Luke

Kim & Dave said...

I forget, Luke-are you guys doing domestic adoption? I know nothing aoubt that paperwork, but I am sure it aould be just as frustrating!!!

Kim & Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cedar Hill Chronicles said...

Oh dear Kim......that is so frustrating for sure. Will keep that matter in prayer. I know all to well the frustrations of bureaucracy - though my experience is not with adoptions - I went thru 3 plus long years of legalities helping Matthew to get paperwork all done to allow Anavel his wife to come to the U.S. being she was from the Philippines and they were living in Japan U.S. Military. Often Matthew was on deployment in the midst of it all and delays between mailings to him that needed his signature were crazy. I tell you the endless snailmail letters and emails I wrote navigating the system was unbelieveable. It wasn't until I wrote Congressman Jim Ryun and he put his Special Projects gal onto it we made headway with the Immigration Office and ultimate Victory.
This is such a simple matter to resolve for little Ruthie...but our government sure knows how to turn simplicity into the most complicated matter.
Take care.....keep looking up!
Pam

Anonymous said...

You need a smile and a laugh.

So how about a 5YO singing "Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee" from Grease?

Kim & Dave said...

Very cute, Brad! Made me smile!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...