"Common Ground": my little corner of the blogosphere where I talk (a lot-wink) about the things that matter most to me: My relationship with my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, homeschooling, adoption, homemaking, parenting, "spousing." (yeah, yeah....I know that's not a word.....I made it up-it’s my blog-I can do things like that! Ha!)

Since my life isn’t all that different from yours, hopefully we can find some COMMON GROUND & learn from each other. Please share your thoughts!

Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.

They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Lam. 3: 22 & 23

Click on pics to see us up close & personal! :)


Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Visit With......

Occupational therapy!!!!

Wa Hooo, as my hubby would say!!!!

Since Natty has been home, we have noticed what we think are small tactile issues with him. Tactile, as in, he prefers not to be touched.

We have also noticed that he has been “behind” in developmental milestones….
like slow to sit up, raise head etc.

Most likely, these delays are due to being born at 34 weeks…..
but, sometimes you just don’t know all the reasons…..
my guess is, God knew we needed more “training.”

Early this morning….
(well, if you think being showered, dressed, &
breakfasted & out the door by 7:45 with a baby is early-ha!! ha!!!!),
we met with his occupational therapist for the first time!!!

I walked out the door with info on how to help a child who is “Tactily Hypersensitive.”

YEAH!!!!

I am so excited to FINALLY have concrete things I can DO with him to help in these areas!

If you’re really interested in what we will be doing with him, read the following boring, medical information. Hee!! Hee!!! If reading boring medical information does not appeal to you, scroll down anyway & see the adorable pics I took of him just this morning.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are supposed to do the following routine every 2 hours…at least 3-4 times a day:

The Wilbarger Protocol:

1. Brush all his extremities & back firmly with a soft brush.
2. Do 10 joint compressions each with his shoulders,
elbows, wrists, hands, hips, knees, ankles, & chest.


Apparently, the goals of this (the Wilbarger Protocol),
along with sensorimotor activities we will be doing, will:

1. Reduce sensory defensiveness (ie….crying when touched)
2. Help him be able to respond more appropriately to stimuli-
(teach him what’s pleasant & what’s not).
3. Promote optimum level of self-regulation & behavioral organization.

Here I am getting started today!!!!

Anyone else have to do this type of thing w/ one of their kids?
Did you notice improvement?
I can’t wait to see him begin to TAKE OFF!!!



Yes, I know he's playing with a dress-up shoe.

What can I say? We need BOY toys!

Hammering



Please tell me I'm not biased & I have one of the CUTESET kids EVER!!!

OK, thanks! Happy

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I was given some wonderful advice by a lady who adopted two children from Russia.
She said with a child, no matter what the age, when there are issues with touch, to take a block of time every day, and just hold that child very tightly.
Both of her girls experienced never being touched in the orphanages, and had difficult times with anyone trying to touch them.
She said it took so little time, once they figured out how comforting being held was.
Just my two cents :o)
Keep up the good work!

Kim & Dave said...

Thank-you, Paula!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you had a good appointment and came home with some ideas to implement. And, yes, he sure is cute!!

Jules said...

I'm glad the appt went well and you have homework!

You have very cute kids!!! :)

Kim & Dave said...

OK, Emily....you are supposed to be at the hospital having a baby....Come on, Sparky!!!

Thanks to you & Joyce for the compliments I shamelessly fished for! (wink)

Anna said...

That is great Kim you have those exercises to do with Natty.

And they are just gorgeous pics of him too!!

Anna

Rachel said...

He IS one of the cutest kids ever!

Kim & Dave said...

Awww, shucks!

Thanks, Anna & Rachel!

Jill said...

You have CUTE pie Kiddos!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...