"Common Ground": my little corner of the blogosphere where I talk (a lot-wink) about the things that matter most to me: My relationship with my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, homeschooling, adoption, homemaking, parenting, "spousing." (yeah, yeah....I know that's not a word.....I made it up-it’s my blog-I can do things like that! Ha!)

Since my life isn’t all that different from yours, hopefully we can find some COMMON GROUND & learn from each other. Please share your thoughts!

Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.

They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Lam. 3: 22 & 23

Click on pics to see us up close & personal! :)


Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"Hired" Help.....


(the way I keep my silverware drawer-WHAT is wrong w/ me???)

Do you let your kids “help” you around the house?

I have to confess……it tries every bone in my body to let them “help.”

I don’t know why.

My mom was never that way.

That patient woman let every one of her 5 children “help” whenever & wherever we wanted to….

Ruth has started this thing where any time I start something she thinks looks important in the kitchen, she drags a chair three times her size up to the counter saying, “Hep….Hep….Hep!!”

With an inward sigh & an outward smile, I encourage her to climb up & “hep.”

SIGH….can you hear me?

THIS was today's result:



Today, she has also removed almost all the clean knives from the drawer & put them-one.at.a.time…..into the DIRTY dishwasher…yeah.

SIGH, again..

I know, I know…..if I want help down the road, I better let her do it now.

Now you know the truth-I really am a bit of a control freak!

PLEASE! What can I do to cure myself????




11 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, that first shot of the silverware was amazing! I've never seen it so neatly organized before!

Today the boys wanted to help stir the orange juice I was making...and I just knew it was going to get messy. And it did. Groan. It's hard - I know. But worth it too. And I'm sure it will eventually pay off when they are older....at least, that's what I'm hoping!

Anonymous said...

I have a somewhat similar personality, but I've long ago decided to just kick back and enjoy the randomness of little children.

(However, it's not cute when they get older. Chad has a habit of compressing 2-liter bottles to fit them into the refrigerator. Before I leave for my apartment each evening, I have to blow the bottle back into shape.)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but from the outside looking in, that's hilarious! I sure hope she'll be able to read all of this later and look at the proof you have in the pictures. I think that one solution is just to remember that this will be a great story to tell her when she is 16.....or when she is a mommy and sighing over the "help" she is getting from her child. Ha! Ha! I love you Kim. That post sure hits close to home!-Esther

Tina said...

Thanks very sweet! Toby is also a "helper." I usually let him depending on what and when he wants to help. And I am definately a control freak but my neat freakness went out the door 6 years ago when Greg and I started to cohabitate so the neat thing doesn't bother me.

Anna said...

Hi Kim,
I'm nodding my head and laughing as I can SO relate to your post today (hehe!!). My Miss 2 and Miss 4 for that matter both love to get their little chairs and stand up in my kitchen and 'help' me. Usually while I'm preparing food and wanting to taste test everything. And yes, I have to confess I am a control freak too and like an orderly kitchen too! Oh well.
And from your last post, I didn't know that Ruth and Natty are bio siblings...that is so wonderful. And agree that trusting God to look after our little ones when there are such gaps in our knowledge of their background is helpful.

Thanks for making me smile today!
Anna

Kim & Dave said...

Rachel-I told you it proves I have problems!!!

Brad-see, I have the job of making sure she doesn't turn out like Chad! ;-)

Esther-ya, hooo!! I got a comment from you!!! Didn't our moms do a great job raising us? I bet they both never got frustrated w/ the "help!!" & you are right....I should just think about how funny it will be down the road!

Tina-you are a better woman than I!!!!

Anna-I'm so glad there are more of us out there!!!

Jules said...

Oh Kim! :hug:

Honestly, I was cured of the having everything right syndrome when I spent 6 months on bedrest. I had to get a grip and give it up that no one was folding my towels "right"!

As to the silverware.... my ds is responsible for unloading the dishwasher on Mon - Fri. I do the weekends. He is a leftie and puts the serving utensils in 'backwards' for me most of the time. Sometimes it is OK.

I don't want to change his 'handedness' so let it go. It makes me smile when I see these little things of his handedness come out. Who'd have thought! ;)

Save this post for when Ruth is 12 and argues her way out of dishes. :)

From the outside looking in... cute!!! ;)

Kim & Dave said...

You know, Joyce, I thought I was "cured," too.

But, I think for me ( I discovered), it's only ok when adults help....kids help.....not so much! (although Ana is FINNALY old enough to actually be REAL help!!!)

Anonymous said...

Btw, Chad was not pleased with your comment. His response:
"If you and your weird friends like flat pop, then fine."

*uncomprehending shrug*

Andrea said...

That's a hoot!!!!1

Andrea

Kim & Dave said...

Brad...tell Chad I only drink pop out of a can! ;-)

Andrea...glad I gave you a chuckle!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...