"Common Ground": my little corner of the blogosphere where I talk (a lot-wink) about the things that matter most to me: My relationship with my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, homeschooling, adoption, homemaking, parenting, "spousing." (yeah, yeah....I know that's not a word.....I made it up-it’s my blog-I can do things like that! Ha!)

Since my life isn’t all that different from yours, hopefully we can find some COMMON GROUND & learn from each other. Please share your thoughts!

Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.

They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Lam. 3: 22 & 23

Click on pics to see us up close & personal! :)


Monday, May 5, 2008

Of Cell Phones & Spirituality……

(and perhaps, a bit of home management help needed thrown in for good measure)
Let me clarify: The following story PROVES home management help is needed for this poor person.


How can someone (does anyone out there think it could be me?????) who has a MOTH schedule posted on her wall, & sticks to the basics almost every day…..

Someone…..(no!!!! not me!) who sets her timer faithfully several times a day & works until it goes off…., just like FLY LADY would want her to....

How does this someone LOOSE (in the past few months):

Her keys (at least 8 or 9 times)
Keys

Her husband’s keys (which are probably in the local landfill by now)

Her water bottles (all of them)

Her CHILD’S bottles….

Her wallet….

Her money….
Money 3

Her purse….

Her camera…..
Digital Camera
Said person (ok, I fess up….it was me)….realized last night after an evening of fellowship at some friend’s home…

That the cell (used as an alarm clock) was nowhere to be found…..

Using my usual method of finding it was no help…..I dialed it & immediately heard my husband’s cheery voice on the other end, “Hello! You have reached Dave & Kim’s cell phone. Please leave a message!”

Ugg….battery dead!

Frantic searching of the house, the van, the purse began…..to no avail!

Suddenly…..it began to dawn on my mind……I am SURE I put it in my sweatshirt pocket…..& I remember taking the sweatshirt off at our friend’s house last night….

Next thought, “I bet it’s on the floor over there!”

Followed by… “Oh, I’m so glad the phone was DEAD when I dialed it at 10:30 at night!”



Here is where the spirituality (or lack thereof) makes its not so grand appearance on the stage….

I completely lost it with myself!

I was SO angry at myself for doing it again!!!!

I have “AWAYS” where all these things are supposed to live! ALL THE TIME!!!

WHY, oh WHY, oh WHY do I continue to do these things to myself? Can’t I learn from my mistakes?

My stomach kept roiling every time I rolled over trying to go to sleep-because my frustration level was so high-& I knew I had LOST it forever!



Anyway…..to make a long story short, I called them this morning, they found the phone & invited us over for lunch when I went & picked it up. A relaxing ending to a very stressful beginning…

But, I am left feeling a bit deflated….

I know this is an issue that can no longer be ignored…

I can’t go down this path of STRESS any longer.
(the stress of loosing things & “loosing it” with myself)

Have any of you struggled w/ this type of thing?

How have you conquered it?

SOS!!! HELP!!!
(before I loose one of these poor children!)



5 comments:

Unknown said...

A rather weird way to deal with misplacing "stuff", is to get in the habit of verbally telling yourself where you put certain items.
And even better...
Get a Label Maker, and label the whole house. Pretend it is a daycare or commercial kitchen.
Every cupboard, box, basket and drawer should have a small label.
( this works wonders for kids and husands ;o) )
Then, practice the aformentioned.
When you arrive home, the keys are hung on the hook by the door, purse is hung in its designated spot, cell phone is placed in the same basket by the door, etc.....

It only takes a month to break a bad habit, and to gain good ones to replace the bad.

My new home is not fully organized yet, but I do have a bookshelf in our entryway, with baskets to place stuff in. A work in progress!

So, when you enter, say to yourself, "I am hanging up the keys, I am hanging up the purse, the cell phone goes in the basket", etc.....
Paula

Anonymous said...

Put us together, we'd be dangerous.


I don't tend to worry about it because it happens so often. It almost becomes a game of "what'll Brad forget this time?".

It does reaffirm my faith in people when either they let me know they found my item or I contact them to look for it -- and it's actually returned.

In my travels, I've left my cell phone in Seattle and my laptop in Phoenix. But here's the topper -- I've been separated from Chad at least three times.

He jumped on a bus in Seattle without me. He almost ran off from me in the NY subway system; I had to pry the door open to catch up. And this past weekend, Chad missed a subway transfer in DC when a crush of exiting people cut down on the time for others to get on.

Dad worries about the seemingly-constant separations, but I don't. Then again, Chad's almost 32 -- not 7, 2, or 1 -- so I believe he can manage by himself.

Now, to await on word about my toiletry bag from either Amtrak, Enterprise, or our hotel....

Kim & Dave said...

Thanks, Paula, for the tips & Brad for the chuckle!!!

Jules said...

No advice except move close to me! :D I seem to be OK with my cell phone (either with me or on the corner of the kitchen counter so I hear K call), my wallet, and purse.

I'm sorry! :hug:

Kim & Dave said...

Wouldn't that be THE BEST, Joyce!!!

:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...