"Common Ground": my little corner of the blogosphere where I talk (a lot-wink) about the things that matter most to me: My relationship with my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, homeschooling, adoption, homemaking, parenting, "spousing." (yeah, yeah....I know that's not a word.....I made it up-it’s my blog-I can do things like that! Ha!)

Since my life isn’t all that different from yours, hopefully we can find some COMMON GROUND & learn from each other. Please share your thoughts!

Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.

They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Lam. 3: 22 & 23

Click on pics to see us up close & personal! :)


Monday, May 12, 2008

Out Of Curiosity.....I want to know your opinion on....

At all times and for everything giving thanks
in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father.
Be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One).
Wives, be subject (be submissive and adapt yourselves)
to your own husbands as [a service] to the Lord.
For the husband is head of the wife as Christ is the Head of the church,
Himself the Savior of [His] body.
As the church is subject to Christ,
so let wives also be subject in everything to their husbands.
Ephesians 5:20-24

On some homeschooling boards I frequent, there are often questions that arise about these verses.
Should they be taken literally?
Are they for today?

(I am not going to speak to the husband’s responsibility. I think it is much more productive to look at the wife’s position in my case, & I think it is obvious why! Happy )

Also, if you want a good definition of what it means/does not mean to "be subject", I added clarification at the end (couldn’t track down where it came from-but it’s still good).

How do these verses work out in every day life?

Do you let him pick the furniture?

Does only he discipline the children?

Does he decide all family activities?

What if he shows little interest in the home?

If he is not a natural leader in the home, how do you encourage him in this area?


(& before the discussion goes too far…..I should say….that I take these verses literally-just as I take all of the Bible-just so you know where I’m coming from)

I want some practical discussion here, as these verses carry ideas I (& others like me-according to all I have read) have been trying to figure out for a while.

I found the following explanation of what submission in the Biblical context is & is not:

First of all, submission does NOT mean that you follow your husband into sin.
This command to submit to your husband in everything does not cancel out the
other commands in the Bible.
If your husband wants you to lie or cheat or engage in some kind
of sexual immorality, you must refuse.
Your ultimate allegiance must be to Christ,
and you cannot forsake Christ out of submission to your husband.

Secondly, submission does NOT mean that the wife is a doormat and is so passive
that she never expresses her opinion.
Submission doesn’t mean silence or servility.
Submission is something that a wife must do voluntarily and willingly,
and it should enrich her personhood, not suppress it.

Thirdly, submission does NOT mean that wives should subject themselves to
abuse. Sadly (very sadly), many men abuse their wives in various ways, and many
women may feel constrained to that predicament because of this command.
They may feel like they need to submit to their husband’s beatings.
But if you’re in an abusive
relationship, you need to seek refuge.
You need to get out of that situation and find
protection for yourself and your children.

So submission does NOT mean that you follow your husband into sin,
it does NOT mean that you’re a doormat,
and it does NOT mean that you allow yourself to be abused.


The essence of submission is recognizing that God has put your husband in a
position of authority over you,
and you are to respect him and encourage him as such.
Even if your husband is an unbeliever,
1 Peter 3 says that your submission may result in his conversion,
as he sees “your respectful and pure conduct.”
So whether your husband is a Christian or a non-Christian,
whether he is a good leader or a not-so-good leader,
your obligation is to respect him and encourage him and follow him.

So, how do you see these verses at work in your home?
Especially if you are one of my wise lurkers, I would like your opinion…

Thanks!

**************************************
And.....closing on a light topic.....the way we celebrated Mother's Day yesterday:
Aren't they just the cutest? I love being a mom!
(& a wife-love you, Hubby, as I know you are reading the blog!
Thanks for yesterday-it was the BEST!)






9 comments:

Jules said...

I just knew you'd have a darling Mother's Day picture!! :)

Just this weekend re: submission
Our church asked for special donations for a trip to Africa where they will do a leadership conf for local pastors. I know how much dh likes to give and I don't always have the same amount in my head that he does. So I totally let him choose the amount... it was 3x what I was thinking. I didn't say that to him. I am fine with it.

I know it is just a little thing... I won't be a doormat either. :)

Kim & Dave said...

Well, Joyce....it actually took about 5 tries to get a decent one!!!

Goofy kids! & Natty still isn't looking at the camera!

Those were the exact type of examples I wanted re. sumission, too.

I'm just wanting to clarify what it means for myself & others...

Anna said...

Hi Kim,
Good to be back on the 'blog' so to speak. Happy Mothers Day to you! It looks like you had a special day which is great.

Thinking about your post on submitting to our husbands. I agree with what you found on what submission is and isn't.

Its a hard one isn't it to work out. One thing I think is important for me is that when we're with a group of people, I wouldn't publicly disagree with my husband or put him down even if I didn't actually agree with what he said. I'd take it up with him later in private. I think respecting, really listening, trusting and loving him is important.
There are times when I don't know what decision to make and I leave it to him to make the final call on which way we go.

Our husbands have quite a big task too in the Bible don't they as they are asked to love their wives as Christ loves the church! A humble, sacrificial, and serving love. Not domineering, autocratic and harsh leadership at all.

Both are not easy at times but thankfully with God's help we can grow in these areas.

Take care,
Anna

jenica said...

I agree that those verses should be taked literally and I think this pattern is for today because they are from God. The marriage roles that this world conjures up are NOT working.

Submission plays out a little differently depending on personalities/strengths/weaknesses.I.E. Some men could care less about the furniture - other's would have total control... I think it's good to know what kind of husband you're working with. ;)

Whoever your husband is, it is in your best interest to adapt yourself for the greater good of your husband. So he can be the best man God intended him to be.

Just as Christ subjected himself for our good/salvation, we are to subject ourselves for our spouse's good.

If you make it easy for him to love you and he will lead you with your full potential in mind. What man wants to be a good husband to a whiny, sensitive, naggy, unhappy, high mantinence, etc. wife?

If he's not a leader type, you are still not to lord over him, even when it comes to spiritual issues.

Since my husband is more of the leader type, I have found when he encourages me to do something I wouldn't naturally tend towards, I should take heed because it usually ends up for the best.

Ok, what in the world! How did this get so long? Not sure if any of that makes sense. It's all such a learning process for me just as much as anyone. But I'm so thankful to have a blueprint to follow and the aid of God's grace.

Kim & Dave said...

Anna-so god to "see you" back!!

I'll have to run over & see pics of your trip on your blog later today!

I am so glad for the reminder to never disagree w/ my husband in public.....& I would add that we need to even be careful about how w/ disagree w/ him in our homes (at least I do). I need to set an example of respect before my kids...

Kim & Dave said...

Jenica-you are SO right!

Different strokes for different folks, as it were, right?

(& really, I love long comments-gives me more to think about!)

Anna said...

Hi Kim,
That is so true about how you resolve conflict at home too- definitely agree as little eyes and ears are always watching and listening!

Just thought of another area- I don't go and spend money on something (except food, bills kids clothes, basic things etc) without running it by my husband first and he likewise will do that with me. I think alot of it is respect for each other.
From your latest post what a scream with your sink disposal- glad you didn't get your hand chomped off dipping in there with the power on!
I'll have to think of ways to get my 4 yo doing things in a happy, fun way too.
Thanks,
Anna

Unknown said...

Hi Kim,
Thought I would leave a link with you. You may not agree with everything in the article (neither do I) but there is so much to glean from it.
http://www.charityministries.org/theremnant/2006/March/theremnant-March2006-godly-woman.a5w
Paula

Kim & Dave said...

Thanks for the link, Paula!

I'll have to check it out later...as I am headed to bed!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...