"Common Ground": my little corner of the blogosphere where I talk (a lot-wink) about the things that matter most to me: My relationship with my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, homeschooling, adoption, homemaking, parenting, "spousing." (yeah, yeah....I know that's not a word.....I made it up-it’s my blog-I can do things like that! Ha!)

Since my life isn’t all that different from yours, hopefully we can find some COMMON GROUND & learn from each other. Please share your thoughts!

Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.

They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Lam. 3: 22 & 23

Click on pics to see us up close & personal! :)


Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Can I vent just a bit? Ok….good!



I ask you….does a baby who was born at 3 ½ pounds
& now weighs almost 20 at 17 months old look like a FAILURE TO THRIVE infant????
I mean REALLY!?!?!?

I sometimes get so frustrated with terms *they* throw around!

Who are *they* comparing him to anyway???

The growth curve for babies born in the USA should only apply to BABIES BORN IN THE USA, don’t you think?

I mean, the average size of babies born in Guatemala is like just shy of five pounds.

In the US, it is 7 pounds , 11 ounces (gotta love that GOOGLE, huh??)

So, the gastroenterologist we took Natty to a few weeks ago gently brought up the term “failure to thrive” with me…..since he isn’t even on the growth charts for weight.

I, respectfully disagree, Madame Doctor!

(& by the way, so does his pediatrician!!!! So-take that!!!)

I mean…..he sure looks happy, & he has been a WAAAY healthier baby than Ruth.

He toddles all around the house-eats like a horse &
has steadily gained weight & length since he was born.

Does that sound like “failure to thrive” to you?

I thought not!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh good grief!
I would say that babies that are small to begin with, but gain appropriatly are just fine! So there!
I've wondered if those charts can even be all that accurate.
There are millions of variables out there.
Paula

Kim & Dave said...

Well, now-see, I knew others out there would agree with me!!

I have wondered that, too, Paula, especially now that I have had one that has been off the chart for hight & two that are just tiny!

I'm just glad our regular doc agrees with me, too!

Andrea said...

You just simply cannot compare, average, DNA makeup to another child with, different, average DNA makeup.

Let that Madame Doc walk around Denver, CO for an afternoon...

and then Guatemala City, Guatemala for an afternoon.

The differences, even though Denver is culturally diverse in it's own right, are palpable.

Is he gaining weight? Yes.

Is he gaining length? Yes.

Is his appetite healthy? Yes.

"nuf" said.

American doctors are NOT "know it alls..." though some think they are.

Andrea
it's big, wide world out there...different than the sidewalks some are familiar with...kwim?

Kim & Dave said...

You know, Andrea.....makes me wonder if she HAS ever left the US of A!!!

She just *felt* like a "know it all," to me, too!

In a week & a half, I get to go back & hear her opinion on what's causing all the dirreah.....& then, I can be done with her-unless it is something MAJOR-which I doubt!

(have I mentioned how level-headed our regular pediatrician is??? & that I like our regular doctor?!!?! I *think* I might have nmentioned it a time or two! Ha! Ha!!!)

Luke Holzmann said...

Your point makes sense to me.

May your doctor eventually agree.

...I'm a poet, and I didn't even try.

Good stuff. May your children continue to thrive! [smile]

~Luke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...