"Common Ground": my little corner of the blogosphere where I talk (a lot-wink) about the things that matter most to me: My relationship with my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, homeschooling, adoption, homemaking, parenting, "spousing." (yeah, yeah....I know that's not a word.....I made it up-it’s my blog-I can do things like that! Ha!)

Since my life isn’t all that different from yours, hopefully we can find some COMMON GROUND & learn from each other. Please share your thoughts!

Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.

They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Lam. 3: 22 & 23

Click on pics to see us up close & personal! :)


Monday, January 12, 2009

Ok…..an update on us.

We are doing much better-at least physically.
My kiddos & I may take a loooong time when it comes to emotional healing, though.

I am functioning on only Advil today, which is a HUGE blessing!
The other meds were making me feel weird an hour or so after I took them!

I went to the dentist today,
& they fixed the small chip I had lost from one of my top front teeth.

As we take stock of bruises & scrapes,
I seem the worst off, then perhaps Ana,
(who is sore on her chest like me-
where there is no bruise,
but it seems to be way below the surface that is sore).

Ruthie has scrapes & bruising on her neck where her car seat straps hit it
& she bit her tongue really hard on both sides.

Natty has bruising on his neck as well,
& it seems his pacifier cut his upper lip in the impact.
Now, the emotional healing……I don’t know. L

Every time I lay down, the events that happened Friday noonish replay themselves in my head.

The “What if’s” keep flashing through my head as well.

These two thoughts are the worst:

“What if I had seen the SUV earlier?
Could I have avoided hitting them?”

& “What if the timing had been different?
Natty could have been the one bearing the brunt of the accident!”

I KNOW these things didn’t happen….but the battle in my head is sooooo hard to fight!

Perhaps the worst thing for me as a mommy, though is this:

Ruthie is SCARED to DEATH to go anywhere!

Last night, we went to evening church (after replacing both carseats) & she sobbed all the way there & back. Nothing anyone did brought her any comfort. She kept up this constant stream of:

~Shaking anytime the car moved in a direction she wasn’t expecting
~Saying, “Daddy, stop it the car! Bease! (please!)!” “Mommy, hode you me!”

~Sobbing until her tears covered the front of her carseat & coat.

~Craning her neck to see out the front & make sure we weren’t going to hit anything.


We tried praying, singing, holding her hands…..nothing worked to stop her fear!
Oh, it just makes me want to cry now-just thinking about her fear!
Ana felt so bad, because usually, she can make Ruth feel better, but not last night!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today, I think things are a bit better.

We had to take Dave to work this am, because Natty needed bloodwork drawn-we are having all sorts of tests run to try & figure out the source of his diarrhea.

Ruth needed us to explain every move the car made…..but there was only a bit of the crying. She still wanted Ana holding her hand the whole way….but she was able to play with the toys Ana brought trying to distract her!

(Just as a side note-how lucky am I???
My 7 year old is thinking about how to take care of her baby sister!!!
I have been soooo proud of Ana!!!!)

Dave & I are wondering if Ruthie might need to see a psychologist to work through this-
we will keep you posted!

We are thankful Ana shows NO signs of being afraid-& when I ask her, she says “No….I know that probably won’t ever happen again!” She *is* hyper vigilant that we not even start the car until her seat belt is buckled, though, which we are grateful for!

I am sitting on my couch this afternoon, basking in the sunlight streaming in my living room window, after waking up from a LOOOONG afternoon nap. All that driving around WORE me out, physically & emotionally.

(& to be honest, I am dreading the first time I have to drive through that intersection again. People have told me I may never approach it with out a bit of fear/caution!)

Thanks for reading all of this,
& for your continued prayers as I think we may still have a very long road of healing in front of us.

But, as they say, time is the best healer!

3 comments:

Anna said...

Oh Kim I really feel for you all and poor little Ruthie!!! Its so hard for little ones (not to mention the 'not so little' ones too!!) to deal with these things.

Definitely praying for you all.

And Ana is such a beautiful, sweet sister isn't she? You must be SO proud of her!!!

Take care,

Anna

Luke Holzmann said...

Lord, I ask that You provide continued comfort and peace, especially for Ruthie in this difficult time. May everyone find rest in You as You watch over them. Amen.

~Luke

~ Rory ~ said...

Hi Kim! I just read about the accident. I'll be praying for you guys and quick healing. I remember getting into an accident with my mom once and it replayed in my mind everytime I closed my eyes to rest. Just want to encourage you that it will get better and that you did the best you could. Don't bombard yourself with all the "if onlys". God knew and God protected. You did the best you could under the circumstances and it looks like you also gave Honda a great advertisement for the safetly features of their minivans! Love you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...