"Common Ground": my little corner of the blogosphere where I talk (a lot-wink) about the things that matter most to me: My relationship with my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, homeschooling, adoption, homemaking, parenting, "spousing." (yeah, yeah....I know that's not a word.....I made it up-it’s my blog-I can do things like that! Ha!)

Since my life isn’t all that different from yours, hopefully we can find some COMMON GROUND & learn from each other. Please share your thoughts!

Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.

They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Lam. 3: 22 & 23

Click on pics to see us up close & personal! :)


Thursday, January 22, 2009

OK....this mama's heart is almost breaking.......( A different kind of Thursday post)

Between Ruth’s slowly abating tears….& this:
(Click on it for a glimpse into a 7 year old mind)
Ok….maybe that titles’s a bit dramatic….but I do feel so bad for these two precious children!

I mean-this is NOT something my kids should HAVE to deal with!!!

I have been suspecting that Ana hasn’t been processing the accident & is bottling up a lot. The other day, I thought, “The child loves to write. Why don’t I start several sentences for her & have her write the endings!”

I know she can’t totally vocalize her feelings yet-especially about something so traumatic….& this was perfect!

Then we talked about all her sentences….we both cried, hugged & loved on each other.

I told her that it is ok to feel all those things she was afraid to talk about.
This one was the hardest…..
What would you have told her?
(Hey-we may need to revisit this at some later point-
& I need all the help I can get!)

This is what I told her:

“Honey, Jesus said, ‘In the world you WILL have tribulation (troubles).’
But, He also promised that His Holy Spirit would go with us THROUGH all these hard things that will happen to us!”

She seemed to accept that-I mean really, God’s protection was SUPER evident. Natty could have been the one bearing the brunt of the accident had timing been any different!!

After our time together…..she looked soooo relieved!
Ana is such a people pleaser (already) that she didn’t want us to worry about her!

Sigh……(do you hear me?)

She has acted much more like herself today!

I told her, though, we will probably do some more writing in a few weeks or so!

9 comments:

Tina said...

The last time I was angry at God a priest told me that it was okay. I'm allowed to be angry at God just not to let it separate me from him. It's completely okay to feel those feelings and let them be validated. I'm pretty sure Jesus wasn't happy about having to die. I mean he did beg God to spare him but in the end he went with God's plan. Because God has a plan and we need to be faithful. And I am completely sure that God will use this positivly in Ana. She will someday be able to help someone else because of what you all went through. Am I making any sense? Love you guys and I'll keep praying for healing.

Luke Holzmann said...

The biggest comfort I have found when things happen is believing God will redeem it and someday use it to help someone else. My guess is that Ruth will be able to comfort and encourage people who are scared and hurt and disappointed with God in a way that I can't.

~Luke

jenica said...

Oh that is heart wrenching! Poor Ana. What a good way to get her communicating about the accident! I think you were right in pointing her to the Lord's protection and goodness and that we aren't promised only good and safety in this world. Such a hard concept, even for adults.
Praying for you all!

Kim & Dave said...

Yes, guys, it makes perfect sense! I need to talk to her about the fact that God can use it down the road in others' lives, too! I forgot to bring that out to her the other day!

Anonymous said...

You, my friend Kim, are a super mom! You thought of Ana's gift of writing and used that as a tool of healing for her. Amazing!

I've been praying for peace for all of you.

Kim & Dave said...

Joyce-the Lord gave me the idea-I am sure because I was really wracking my brain to think of something!

Jenica-thanks so much for praying!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to have her write down her feelings. I know they broke your heart, but so good for her to get them out in the open. You did a great job answering her questions and responding to her anger by letting her know that her feelings were ok, normal even, but that doesn't mean Jesus isn't with her.

Anonymous said...

You should also tell her the story of Job:

How much he lost (the death of all his children), how much he suffered (the painful boils on his skin) -- yet his faith in God was not shaken.

However, we can't all strive to be Job. Sometimes we get frustrated and we need to yell or scream.

Remind her, though, that when you stay angry and are unable to forgive, you do not reflect love -- and since God is love, you do not reflect God.

Nature Notes from Nadvornia said...

Dear Kim, I will be praying for you because Ana is asking some very tough and very fundamental questions. God has already given you great wisdom in the verse that He brought to mind, and the writing exercise, so I look forward to hearing more about His faithfulness and tenderness towards your family. I actually have been thinking along similar lines as Ana, and just happened to post some thoughts right before I read your blog. Perhaps they will encouraging to you if you get a chance to read them. We are so thankful that you are all physically safe and well!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...