"Common Ground": my little corner of the blogosphere where I talk (a lot-wink) about the things that matter most to me: My relationship with my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, homeschooling, adoption, homemaking, parenting, "spousing." (yeah, yeah....I know that's not a word.....I made it up-it’s my blog-I can do things like that! Ha!)

Since my life isn’t all that different from yours, hopefully we can find some COMMON GROUND & learn from each other. Please share your thoughts!

Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.

They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Lam. 3: 22 & 23

Click on pics to see us up close & personal! :)


Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thursdays Before the Throne

Strongholds Versus Freedom
“For the weapons of our warfare are not physical [weapons of flesh and blood], but they are mighty before God for the overthrow and destruction of strongholds.”
2 Corinthians. 10:4

I have spent the last week thinking about the stronghold of FEAR in my life.

But, I didn’t want you to only see a negative thing as you visit my blog today.

I believe the opposite of a STRONGHOLD is FREEDOM.

I looked up the word “stronghold” because I think it’s always good to have a definition for what you are studying.

It is defined as a “refuge”

In my life, I have been placing each brick to build up a fortress/refuge from fear/pain. I have been fearful that Nathaniel will never come home. I am afraid of that pain I would have in saying goodbye to the dream I have of having my son home.

“Why?,” you might ask.

I have said a forever goodbye before.

November 30, 2004.

In a doctor’s office on the sonogram table-by my husband & precious 3 year old looking on.

My dear husband & daughter were so excited to see legs, arms etc.

But, before the doctor said a word, I KNEW. There was no heartbeat.

The gift we had prayed for-for over a year, was not to be.

Oh, the agony of that good-bye-made even worse by watching Ana “loose” the baby sister she had prayed for since she first began to talk.

I remember sitting at my kitchen table after we arrived home, I clutched my stomach (perhaps in an attempt to hug the child I never would be able to) & began to grieve.

Not silently either. These were loud, agonizing moans-moans that soon dropped me on the floor as I had no strength left to even sit up. Groans from the pit of hell/death. Moans for the baby who would never know a mother’s love.

Holding my tiny baby & saying good-bye as tears streamed down our faces. A memorial service that honored the baby’s life-that never saw the light of day. Oh, the sting of death is so real for me now!

Can you see why I’m afraid? Can you see why it might be a natural thing for me to put up walls to protect my heart?

I’m afraid of pain.

But, the Bible says that “the weapons of my warfare are mighty”

Of course, that led me to Ephesians 6:10-18, where Paul discusses The Armor of God.

God showed me that I had been believing that I could protect myself by retreating into my fortress.

But His word says that fear messes w/ right thinking.

“For God has not given us a spirit of fear,
but of power & of love & a SOUND MIND.”
1 Tim. 1:7

Also, His word says:

“Perfect love casts out fear”
1 John 4 :18

~Perfect love was demonstrated when Christ Jesus my Savior walked the earth

~In John 1, Jesus is described as the Word.

~I put the two thoughts together, & I get that I can discover more about Perfect Love in the Word-the Bible. Knowing more about Who Jesus is & His Character, casts away fear. Does this make sense to anyone else?

Knowing more of who He is (though His Word, the Bible), shows me that I no longer need to put up a wall (stronghold of fear). By quoting His word, I put Satan’s lies behind me. Satan is the one who tells me that I should be afraid of where God is taking me. But that is not true.

Of my future, God says,

“ ‘For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord.
Thoughts of peace & not of evil-to give you a future & a hope.’”

Jeremiah 29:11

Do you have a stronghold of fear-fear for the future, fear of pain? Another fear? The answer to tearing down the stronghold is to use His word as Your weapon. Quote it whenever the evil one comes knocking-tempting you to doubt God’s perfect plan for your life. He will flee. The Bible promises it, & I have seen it.

5 comments:

Jennie Caudle said...

I really enjoyed reading what you wrote. It really touched me. We too had a miscarriage last May and then lost Ariana in December. I can very much relate with the fear of losing Mikinley. It's something I fight weekly, but God is amazing the way he comforts and gives me the strength and courage to keep stepping forward. I've even struggled with thoughts of losing our son at times just, because after a loss it makes things so real. I just wanted to let you know those words and scriptures were a blessing to us. We wish you many blessings on your new baby boy. You have a beautiful family!

God Bless
Jeff, Jennie, Chancellor, and Mikinley

Anonymous said...

An absolutely beautiful and transparent post...

It as much appreciated and now I can pray more specifically for you as your Mommy-heart folds Nathaniel even deeper into it.....

Blessings my friend...

and CONGRATS on being OUT of PGN....

A big ol' PHEW from me for you!

Andrea
aka "Formyboys"

Kim & Dave said...

Jennie-
I'm so glad God was able to use His Word through me to touch your heart.

He is faithful-even in our times of doubting/hardship, isn't He?

Andrea-thanks for the continued prayers.

How I wish we could celebrate together!

Maybe someday!

Hug that baby girl for me, & say hello to all your boys from Ana!
Kim

Jules said...

I had to come back and read your blog just to enjoy your excitement once again. And I have a bit of time (and my internet is working for a tad) so continued reading....

This post is awesome, Kim! I so know your moans.... how heart wrenching.

I'm so impressed by your dependence on Him and His Word.... your witness to His faithfulness.

This really meant a lot to me to read today. Thanks!

lots of love & hugs for those girls...

Kim & Dave said...

Glad your internet seems to be working, Joyce!

Thank you, too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...