"Common Ground": my little corner of the blogosphere where I talk (a lot-wink) about the things that matter most to me: My relationship with my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, homeschooling, adoption, homemaking, parenting, "spousing." (yeah, yeah....I know that's not a word.....I made it up-it’s my blog-I can do things like that! Ha!)

Since my life isn’t all that different from yours, hopefully we can find some COMMON GROUND & learn from each other. Please share your thoughts!

Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.

They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Lam. 3: 22 & 23

Click on pics to see us up close & personal! :)


Monday, April 14, 2008

Update (or today's visit to the pediatrician)

Another busy day……..

What’s new, right? (Ha!)

We home school & have three kids.

I knew it would be unwise to take all three kids to the dr today. Why, you ask?
I attempted it before……..& hearing ANYTHING the doc said over the screaming
(from my dear second child) was IMPOSSIBLE.

They look remarkably similar, don’t they?

~~~~Just as an aside, this was taken after I took lip gloss away from her. I discovered her w/ the wand hanging out of her mouth, & the tube in her hand, the evidence of her sampling all over her face. I’m such a mean mom, I took it away from her, took a picture of her crying, & posted it on my blog for all to see! Hee!!! Hee!!! I did love on her a bunch, until the tears were gone, just in case you wondered!~~~~~

So, last night, I put in a quick call for a babysitter for said second child,
since she wasn’t one of the lucky ones scheduled to be seen!


After dropping her off……

Driving the short distance from there to the office……

Hoofing it through the parking lot w/ 7 year old carrying diaper bag, mom lugging purse, 15 lbs of baby & 5 lbs of car seat (whoever said that was a LIGHT WEIGHT car seat never tried it like a mom does every day, with a BABY actually in it, did they now?????),

& Arriving breathlessly on the third floor…….

I discover, to my delight, that we are actually 20 MINUTES EARLY for our appointment!!!

This NEVER happens to me, & wouldn’t you know, the Doctor was 15 minutes late to our appointments (one for Ana & one for Natty)

************************************************


The big news of the morning was:

For the first time EVER:

Ana decided on her own she wanted the last of her booster shots & DID NOT CRY!!!!!!

Once more, we are reminded-she is growing up!!!

Everything else looks great for this newly 7 year old.

She is in the 97th percentile on height (no surprise there!) & the 75th percentile on weight.

***********************************************************

This was Natty’s initial evaluation after coming home.

We had several minor concerns going into this appointment, keeping in mind that he is 8 months old, & was born pre-maturely at 34 weeks:

1. Until just recently, he couldn’t hold up his head very well.

2. He does not tolerate being on his tummy.

3. He can’t sit up at all.

4. He doesn’t cuddle much, which may not really be a problem, but w/ all the other issues, we wanted to address it.

5. He has no interest in solid foods yet, & chokes easily on his bottle.








The Doctor agreed that we should have him seen by an Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist, & a Speech Therapist.

The Speech Therapist puzzled me at first.

But, I learned something new today, because the Doc. Said that speech is related to the tongue movements a baby makes while eating.

Interesting……& I’m sure it’s true…..just never occurred to me..


Anyway, soon, those appointments will be scheduled, & I’m sure everything will be fine, but it will just relieve us to know if we are on the right path or not.

Although, my mama’s instinct says we are-w/ the stuff we are already trying……

And who can argue w/ a mama’s instinct, right? (Wink!)

……& I’m off to bed.

Have started back at the gym…..felt good when I was DONE this morning!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I am always shocked at my kiddos behavior at the doctor's office. I think it is just the long wait with nothing to do. Anyways, I sympathize!

Anna said...

Hi Kim,
Praying for little Natty that all these appointments will be a help for him. It certainly doesn't hurt to be thorough as it will put your mind at ease to know you've done everything.

Oh and the lip gloss saga...I can relate to that one with my 2 yo. She raids anything and everything right now. Her latest is getting one of her little chairs and using it to reach up to things on the kitchen bench so now when I thought these things were safely out of reach they're not!!! Oh the wonder of curiosity!
Take care,
Anna

Monica said...

Poor Ruth. She looks so pathetic. ;) FWIW, I have photos of my kids with a similar expression.

I'll be praying that all of your questions and concerns are answered with your upcoming appointments and for wisdom to know how to proceed with any treatments.

You're a good mom, Kim!!!

Kim & Dave said...

Rachel.....the long wait must be a big part of it.

Anna-yep.....Ruthie has started to climb. The hardest thing for me to stay on top of is her desire to climb on the table!

Thanks, Monica, for being a part of my cheering section!

Jules said...

Wowsers! That is a lot to hear, I'd think.

Not trite... I mean this: love & prayers... :hug:

Kim & Dave said...

I know you mean every word, Joyce!

You are so sweet!!!

Thanks, friend!

Wish you lived close enough for a visit!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...